Notice of Firmware Update for TX-NR509 / HT-R648
A firmware update for the TX-NR509 / HT-R648 network A/V receiver is available through the unit’s network connection or USB input. Please note that new firmware updates replace, and include all content from, previous updates. The latest update includes the following content:
Latest Firmware Number (16 digits): 1081-1300-0000-0103
As of 19 February 2014
|Information Concerning Firmware Update for Onkyo Network Receivers
Onkyo has discovered there is a possibility of failure when updating receivers to this new firmware package via ethernet in certain network environments. For this reason, we are now only releasing a firmware file for installation via USB port / flash memory device.
Should you encounter any difficulties when performing this update, please contact us.
We appreciate your understanding and apologize for any inconvenience this issue may cause.
- Corrects lock up failure when using Telstra T Box or MiCasaVerde Vera Lite controller on the same network;
As of 11 April 2013
- Improves audio playback stability via Network/USB;
As of 5 July 2012
- Improves the operation when HDMI Through is set to on;
- Stabilizes the operation of Network Control;
As of 15 September 2011
- Stabilizes continuous playback from USB memory/DLNA server;
As of 8 August 2011
- Adds support for AUPEO! Personal Radio, Internet Music Service;
- Enhances operability with the Remote App for Android;
- Adds support for Last.fm Internet Radio Service.
As of 23 June 2011
- Improves UWF-1 connectivity.;
- Supports access points with non-alphanumeric SSID. (e.g. !, #, &, etc...)
As of 26 April 2011
- Improves update functionality;
- Supports manual setting of hexadecimal WEP keys for UWF-1.
Please input the WEP key again after updating firmware.
As of 4 April 2011
- Improves wireless communication;
- Improves [NET/USB] playback.
(Enhances various other operations.)
How to Check if Your Firmware Version is Up To Date
To Check if your firmware is up to date, go into Setup -> Hardware Setup -> Firmware Update and check the 16-digit number (xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx). If any numbers differ from the latest version available, please update your unit.
Precautions for TX-NR509 / HT-R648 Firmware Update
- Please read the update instructions carefully before beginning.
- The firmware update should take 30 to 40 minutes. Once the update begins, don't turn off the power supply to the A/V receiver until it is time to restart it.
- Depending on the conditions of the network, a firmware update via a network may take more than one hour or even fail to finish. If the update is not completed within two hours, turn off the power supply by pushing the ON/STANDBY button and then try updating again from the beginning.
- Updating the firmware and adjusting the settings will be done automatically, but may take some time to complete. Please follow the procedures as instructed when you update. Note that the update may fail, or cause problems for your A/V receiver, if you do any of the following:
- Pull out the A/V receiver’s power cord;
- Interrupt the power supply to the A/V receiver (e.g. if the breaker is tripped or if there is an electrical outage);
- Insert or remove the LAN cable from a device in your network when updating over a network;
- Insert or remove a USB memory device from the A/V receiver when updating via USB;
- Operate components connected to the A/V receiver via HDMI, such as a TV or a recording device.
If your A/V receiver is damaged for any of the reasons above, an Onkyo service center will repair the unit for a fee.
How to Install Firmware Update for TX-NR509 / HT-R648
Click below for instructions on how to install the update. Instructions cover (1) direct update over network connection and (2) update via USB.
Click below to download the firmware update to your PC, for subsequent installation on your receiver via its USB port.